News Archives

February 2014

February 6th, 2014

Question and Answers with Dr. Burns


Q: I have congenital asymmetric breasts. Do I need a experienced specialist to perform this corrective breast augmentation?

A: Without seeing photographs or doing an examination, it is hard to say what specific treatment you need. However, if you do not have droopy breast and too much assymetry, then most cosmetic surgeons who do breast work could easily handle your issues, say perhaps with different sized implants. However if this is congenital then ptosis (droopy breasts) may be an issue. The good news is that this too can be handled with a breast lift either bilaterally or unilaterally, but scars can not be avoided. Scars can be minimized and strategically placed but often this is the price to adequately correct symmetry and size differences in this situation. Again, all you need is a cosmetic surgeon who has a large experience with both augmentation and breast lifting/reduction surgery and there are many in your area. I recommend you look for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many cosmetic surgeons who claim they are board certified, but I recommend the above credentialling. There are no guarantees, you are only optimizing your chances. I always recommend looking at their results and finding someone you are comfortable with and can communicate to you well. Check references to further optimize your search. Good luck.